Solid waste blocked
THE customs authority in Hangzhou, capital of East China’s Zhejiang Province, said 469 tons of solid waste will be returned.
Inspectors found the shipment, from the United States, consisting of scrap paper mixed with waste metal parts and used drinking bottles.
According to Chinese regulations, a shipment that contains solid waste should be banned from import.
The customs authority has asked companies to return the waste as soon as possible.
China has banned imports of 24 types of solid waste since late 2017 in a move to reduce environmental pollution.
SEVEN people went missing and 13 people were injured after a blast hit a vehicle carrying explosives in Northwest China’s Shaanxi Province.
The explosion occurred around 11:50 p.m. Tuesday in Pusan Village of Zhen’an County, according to a statement of the county government.
The vehicle was registered in Central China’s Henan Province and was commissioned to send explosives to a warehouse near the village. It was parked near the village at the time of the explosion.
Seven people remain unaccounted for following the blast, and 13 have been hospitalized. County government staff said the site is still in chaos and details are still emerging.
Further investigation is under way.
A COURT in Guangdong Province on Tuesday sentenced 47 people, most of whom had been repatriated from Malaysia in 2016, for telecom fraud.
The defendants were given sentences ranging from 25 months to 12 years in prison and slapped with fines due to the seriousness of the circumstances.
They swindled 42 people on the Chinese mainland out of a total of 7 million yuan (US$1.1 million), the court said.